Wikipedia:Usip nin Proyekto/5th Bikol Wikipedia Day: Aldaw nin Talingkas na Ensiklopedya EN
|←Bikol Edithon||5th Bikol Wikipedia Day: Aldaw nin Talingkas na Ensiklopedya|
5th Bikol Wikipedia Day: Aldaw nin Talingkas na Ensiklopedya is the celebration of Bikol Wikimedia Community of the fifth year since Bikol Wikipedia was launched. The celebration was funded by Wikimedia Foundation through Wikimedia Philippines under "Microgrants". Ateneo de Naga University, Parasurat Bikolnon and City Government of Naga collaborated in the event.
- November 24, 2012
- 8:00 A.M.–10:00 P.M
- James J. O'Brien SJ Library, Ateneo de Naga University; Mudbugs Sports Bar, Peñafrancia Avenue, Naga City
- Project lead
- Irvin Sto. Tomas (Profile)
- November 4, 2012 - Planning for the 5th Anniversary of Bikol Wikipedia celebration of Irvin Sto. Tomas and Dindin Daliva at Caramel Bakeshop, P. Burgos Street, Naga City.
- November 5, 2012 - Communication sent to City Government of Naga, Ateneo de Naga University and Parasurat Bikolnon for possible partnership. Communication sent to Yellow Cab Food Corporation for possible sponsorship.
- November 6, 2012 - Communication sent to Bigg's Diner and Triboo Bikolano for possible sponsorship. Meeting with the management of Yellow Cab, Magsaysay Ave., Balatas, Naga City.
- November 7, 2012 - Communication sent to Bicol Medical Center and PNP Naga for medical and security assistance for the activity; and to Graceland Food, Inc. and Goldilocks Bakeshop, Inc. for possible sponsorship.
- November 8, 2012 - Communication sent to Atlantic Bakery for possible sponsorship.
- November 9, 2012 - Meeting with Allan Rey Camata, president of Oragon Photography Association during the organization's meeting to invite the members of the organization; and meeting with the management of Mexita pizza parlor on possible venue for Award's Night and 7th Filipino Wikimedians Meet-up in Taal Ave., Concepcion Pequeña, Naga City.
- November 10, 2012 - Wikimedia Philippines approved the project proposal of Irvin Sto. Tomas on 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day: Aldaw nin Talingkas na Ensiklopedya in Naga City scheduled on November 24, 2012.
- November 13, 2012 - Communication sent to Ramashinta Resort and Spa for possible sponsorship. Purchased supplies for the event.
- November 17, 2012 - Received the logo design of Wikipedia Takes Naga from Ajohn Dorotical.
- November 19, 2012 - Communication sent to ABS-CBN Naga for news coverage of the celebration. Purchased supplies for the event.
- November 20, 2012 - Preparation of materials for Wikipedia Takes Naga.
- November 21, 2012 - Communication sent to Open Web Day ADNU participants through Bicol Region Librarians Council. ADNU Electronic Resource Center granted request of release of its IP address.
- November 22, 2012 - Final briefing with Bikol Edithon participants who volunteered for the event. Picked up Bikol Wikipedia shirts, and event tarpaulins and backdrop.
- November 23, 2012 - Finalization and meeting with Irvin Sto. Tomas, Dindin Daliva, Ramon Olaño, Alfredo Imperial Perdon, station manager of GNN TV 48 Naga, and veteran local radio commentator-turned TV host Ernie Verdadero, for an interview and discussion on guesting in the program Ini an Totoo. GNN TV 48 Naga featured news on the 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day celebration in the afternoon.
- Purchased supplies for the event. Preparation of the Electronic Resource Center at James J. O'Brien S.J. Library, Ateneo de Naga University.
|Oras||Wikipedia Takes Naga
City proper of Naga
O'Brien Library sa Ateneo de Naga University
Bagumbayan, Naga City
and 7th Naga Meetup
Mudbugs Sports Bar in Peñafrancia Ave.
|8:00 - 9:00||Registration of participants
handled by Parasurat Bikolnon
|9:00 - 9:15||Opening of 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day|
|9:15 - 9:10||Prayer and National Anthem (video)|
|9:10 - 9:20||Welcome message and
introduction by Dindin Daliva
|9:20 - 9:40||Backgrounder of Wikipedia Takes
the City by Irvin Sto. Tomas
|9:40 - 9:45||Group photo|
|10:00 - 1:00||Duration of the competition;
Send-off — arrival of participants
|Preparation and setup of equipment
Registration of participants
handled by Parasurat Bikolnon
|1:00 - 2:00||Orientation on uploading photos
in Wikimedia Commons by MyTreatCity
|Showing of the film Truth in Numbers|
|2:00 - 3:00||Tallying of points
handled by Parasurat Bikolnon
|Discussion on Wikimedia
movement by Ramon Olaño
|3:00 - 4:00||Awarding of certificate of participation||Open Forum (cancelled Bikol Edithon)
by Dindin Daliva
|4:00 - 4:15||Message by Edna San Buenaventura,
|4:15 - 4:30||Awarding of certificate of participation|
|4:30 - 6:00||Rest, preparation for the Award's Night|
|7:00 - 7:10||Welcome message and remarks|
by Dindin Daliva
|7:10 - 7:15||Raffle of prizes courtesy of donors|
|Message from Wikimedia Philippines (none)|
|7:15 - 7:30||Message from the Community|
by Ramon Olaño
|7:30 - 7:35||Raffle of prizes courtesy of donors|
|7:35 - 7:45||Awarding of Plaque of Appreciation to partners|
|7:45 - 8:00||Announcement and awarding of winners|
|8:10 - 8:25||Message from the City Government of Naga|
by Alec Francis Santos of ACTO
|8:25 - 8:30||Acknowledgement by Irvin Sto. Tomas|
|8:30 - 10:00||Socials of Bikol Wikipedia contributors|
- November 27, 2012 - ABS-CBN TV Patrol Bicol and GMA 7 Baretang Bikol featured news on the event.
- November 29, 2012 - Delivered certificates of appreciation to donors. Evaluation of the event at Green Earth Café. Expense Report was submitted to the Treasurer via e-mail.
- November 30, 2012 - Treasurer Decision:01-2012 was issued.
- Desyembre 1, 2012 - Planning of the Wikipedia Takes Cebu scheduled on January 14, 2013 in Cebu City as an initiative of Irvin Sto. Tomas.
- December 3, 2012 - Original receipts sent via LBC (cost: P95) to the organization's office in Makati City prior to the Year-end Meeting reports scheduled on December 15. (Treasurer assured to send the reimbursement check upon receipt of all expense documentation. To date, no check has been issued.)
- December 4, 2012 - Bikol Wikimedia volunteers Irvin Sto. Tomas, Dindin Daliva and Ramon Olaño appeared live on GNN TV 48 Naga in Ini an Totoo with host Ernie Verdadero.
- December 5, 2012 - Project lead reminded the Treasurer on the updated Expense Report based on the Expense Policy. Replay of the program Ini an Totoo on GNN TV 48 Naga.
- January 6, 2013 - Naga Wiknic was held at Naga Ecological Park, San Felipe, Naga City. Earlier, City Government of Naga invited the Community to participate in the Bikol Arts Festival Celebration in February.
- January 7, 2013 - No adjusted Expense Report received and reimbursement has been held off. Treasurer offered to the project lead to give a substitute report of the project. Due date of Project Report is February 24, 2013.
- Enero 12, 2013 - Sto. Tomas's flight to Cebu City was cancelled to typhoon warning. Legazpi Photo Walk in Legazpi City was conducted.
- January 16, 2013 - Community submitted a Wikipedia activity design to City Government of Naga for the Bikol Arts Festival Celebration.
- January 23, 2013 - Community submitted a project proposal on Bikol Wikipedia Exhibit and Bikolano Digital Heritage to the Board.
- January 27, 2013 - Resolution: Philippine Wikimedia Communities was amended. In the amended resolution, project reports must be submitted no later than 45 days after the projected completion date as stated in the project proposal or no later than January 8, in the case of Bikol Wikipedia Day project, instead of February 24, 2013.
- February 4, 2013 - Wikimedia Philippines: Startup 2 Project Report past due.
- In the incomplete report under Microgrants, the description says The microgrants will provide financial assistance for activities of Wikipedia communities that will result in the continuous and active promotion of Wikimedia projects, to entice active contribution and development of Wikimedia projects. In the column for result after completion date of the grant it says The fund was used for projects of Bikol Wikipedia of the Naga City-based community of Wikipedians. With it they were able to hold meet-ups, editathons and a Wikipedia Takes Naga event.
- Note: The only funded Meet-up held in the region was Naga 4 held on April 15, 2012 corrected year (2015-07-10). The supposed meetup of the Naga City-based community of Wikipedians was attended by two (2) Wikipedians from Metro Manila (377kms from Naga City). Naga 5 was held on June 30, 2013 during the Open Web Day ADNU. It was also attended by three (3) Metro Manila-based Wikipedians. Naga 6 was held on August 15, 2013 during the Bikol Edithon, an initiative of the Community.
- February 16, 2013 - An extension of the project completion date of Wikimedia Philippines: Startup 2 from June 30, 2013 to December 30, 2013 was requested.
- June 13, 2013 - One Trustee commented the non-receipt of [Bikol Wikipedia Day] project report is one of the reasons why the chapter's 2012 administrative budget grant report was delayed.
Staff of James O'Brien SJ Library and attendees at Open Web Day ADNU
Open Web Day ADNU participants sign up for Bikol Edithon
Minutes of Wikimedia discussion
With only (6) non-editors signed up for the Bikol Wikipedia Edithon, the activity was cancelled and a discussion on Wikimedia movement and activities of Bicol Community was conducted:
- Ramon Olaño observed the lack of Bikol cultural icons and discussed on the reasons of limited resources on Bicol culture. He cited that Bicolanos do not have a capacity to publish despite the number of intellectuals and enthusiasts on culture and history.
- Dindin Daliva, who served as the moderator, pointed out that this is how Wikipedia can help bridge the gap.
- Edna San Buenaventura, chief librarian of James OBrien Library, opined on writers who publish for profit. She then threw the questions: How do we encourage them to join [Wikimedia movement] knowing that there is no remuneration [in contributing to the project]? How do we enlighten them to share their works?
- Irvin Sto. Tomas explained on how Wikipedia works. He also mentioned about Wikisource.
- The idea of inviting experts in the field to review the articles was also tackled. Irvin mentioned on Wikipedia Ambassadors. He suggested to put up a club for Wikipedians in the campus and invite professors who will serve as Ambassadors.
- There was also an exchange of opinions on issue on Copyright versus free access to information. Irvin suggested to encourage people share traditional songs and dances which do not have authors through Wikimedia Commons.
- Participants asked Bikol Wikimedia Community to update them on the "How to" operations or basics in editing.
- Irvin and Ringer reiterated that contributions can be in different forms such text, photographs, music and videos.
- One participant opined to make the articles user-friendly [language] for the end users. There is an issue on the language used by different contributors.
- Irvin explained that Bikol Wikipedia uses Central Bikol, which is the language used in Naga and Legazpi cities. A separate Wikipedia for another Bikol language can also be created if there are contributors. He also acknowledged the project as a living laboratory for students of Bikol language.
- The group agreed to promote Bikol Wikipedia as a reliable source and to satisfy the needs of end users.
- Before the end of the discussion, it was set to invite writers for another round of discussion with the participants.
Project goals and measurement of success
The activities aimed to increase the number of free-licensed images about Naga City to be used in Wikipeda articles, as well as to promote Wikipedia in Naga. The event also served as Bikol Community's celebration of the 5th anniversary of Bikol Wikipedia.
- Done - Celebration of the 5th year of Bikol Wikipedia. The Community successfully held the celebration of Bikol Wikipedia's 5th year.
- Done - Increase images of Naga City. More than 600 photographs were uploaded to Wikimedia Commons and are now used in Bikol Wikipedia articles.
- Done - Promotion of Wikipedia in Naga City. The celebration gained media attention from regional telebition namely ABS-CBN TV Patrol Bicol and GMA 7 Baretang Bikol. Also, Wikipedia was featured in GNN Naga TV 48 in Ini an Totoo which was shown in the region.
- Done - Support from the community. The celebration gained different support from the community namely Ateneo de Naga University (academe), City Government of Naga (goverment) and Parasurat Bikolnon (local writers). Several local establishments sponsored the event. Participants from previous activities of the Community namely Open Web Day ADNU (June 30), Community-initiated Bikol Edithon (August 15) and past Naga Meetups, joined as facilitators.
Measurement of success
- Not Done - Number of participants in Wikipedia Takes Naga: 20. The expected number of participant was 20 however only fourteen (14) photographers from four (4) towns in Camarines Sur and two (2) cities in the region showed up. There were eight (8) teams in the competition including 2 one-man teams.
- There were three possible reason for the low turn-out of participants:
- Cash prizes (P1,000 cash from Wikimedia Philippines, and P5,000 cash from the City Government of Naga) did not attract photography enthusiasts. (Note: In Wikipedia Takes Manila held on January 15, 2011, it attracted over a hundred participants with its P37,500.00 total cash prizes, according to the project report submitted 1 year later).
- The waiver in the application form discouraged targeted participants
- Professional photographers and photography enthusiasts have issues in free licensing of photographs; and
- The event was held on the same day of opening of 8th Bicol Business Week held in Jesse M. Robredo Coliseum wherein several photographers went.
- Not Done - Number of photos uploaded in Commons: 2,000. The expected number of photos to be uploaded is 2,000 in Wikimedia Commons however the total photos gathered was only over 600. There was a failure to upload the photos on the day of the event for technical problems.
- Here are the possible reasons for the low number of photos gathered:
- There were only (8) participating teams. One participant failed to transfer photos from his memory card due to lack of compatible memory card reader; and
- Too many information are asked in uploading photographs which is difficult to newbies. The organizers decided to assume to uploading of photos.
- Not Done - Number of participants in Bikol Edition: 10. The expected number of participants in Bikol Edition is 10 however only (6) non-editors signed up for the activity. The edithon was cancelled and a discussion on Wikimedia movement and activities of Bicol Community was conducted.
- The reason for a low participation for this activity is the too short notice to targeted members of Bicol Region Librarians Council (BRLC) who have participated in the Open Web Day ADNU held in June 30 while participants in the Bikol Edithon held in August 15 decided to facilitate the event instead of joining the Edithon. The media also came during the schedule of the Edithon hence the discussion was disrupted.
- Preparation — The Community only had twenty (20) days of preparation. While it was not difficult to conceptualize the celebration since there have been similar activities done by other communities, preparation of the materials such as the list of goals, guidelines, registration form, designs, layout of the bib used by the participants and the event tarpaulin was demanding on the part of organizers.
- While tapping organizations, sponsors and individuals was effective, the time element was the main reason for them not to commit in the project.
- The communication for targeted participants for Bikol Edithon was sent too late.
- Venue — Finding venues was not a difficulty since the Community have established partnerships with different institutions, organizations and private individuals in the City. Ateneo de Naga University, an institution promoting Bikol culture opened its doors once again to the Community. ADNU, our partner at Open Web Day offered the use of its facilities including the Electronic Resource Center, a room for the Bikol Edithon participants, and an area in the library for registration and information table.
- It was also easy to find a perfect venue in downtown Naga. Its members used their networks to look for a place with facilities for an evening program and also serve foods at a reasonable price. Mudbugs Sports Bar served as the venue for the conclusion of the event.
- Support — With common agenda, City Government of Naga which promotes the city as maugmang lugar (a happy place) and Parasurat Bikolnon writer's organization which encourages the use of Bikol language supported the efforts of the Community. It was also an opportunity to work with local companies that promote the Bicolano identity hence Bigg's Diner, Triboo Bikolano and MyTreatCity were among our sponsors. Two establishments namely Green Earth Café and Ramashinta Resort & Spa donated gift certificates as special prizes at the awarding ceremonies.
- Media Mileage — Through the media, including the two local television networks, the celebration was covered and it was featured in its news programs namely ABS-CBN's TV Patrol Bicol and GMA 7's Baretang Bikol. Our guesting in Ini an Totoo a program on GNN TV 48 Naga, a cable channel give Wikipedia a greater exposure. ABS-CBN TV Partrol Bikol news on the celebration and the interview on GNN TV 48 Naga had a replay to be seen by a wider audience.
- Social media also help promote the event. The updates of celebration since its planning until its conclusion were posted in the Community's Facebook page and group, and individual account of it members.
- Involvement — Some of participants from the Community's past activities showed support either by volunteering as a facilitator or as a participant. Four Bikol Edithon participants and Diri_Ko_Isi from Open Web Day ADNU volunteered in the WikiTakes Naga. Magi_santos volunteered to print copies of Wikipedia pamphlets distributed on the event day.
- Five OWD ADNU participants, including 4 members of Bicol Region Librarians Council, and two (2) new participants, including Dindin Daliva who is among the organizers, showed up for the Bikol Edithon event.
- These volunteers also tapped their friends to help in the event for FREE. One invited her two friends to served as usherettes at the Award's Night. Irvin Sto. Tomas invited his friend as the event's liaison, Dindin Daliva asked his radio DJ friend to be her co-host at the Award's Night, while Noel Regachuelo brought his wife, his brother and wife to assist the team.
- WMPH members who are part of the organizing team include Irvin Sto. Tomas (regular; suspended[nangangaipo nin toltolan]), Noel Regachuelo (associate member) and Ramon Olaño (associate member).
Here is the summary of expenses based on the project proposal:
Category Budget PHP/(USD) Actual Expense PHP/(USD) Event tarpaulins 500.00 ($12.25) 1,849.00 ($45.30) — Backdrop, small tarps — 1,464.00 ($35.87) — Bib of WTN participants — 315.00 ($7.72) — Eyelets — 30.00 ($0.74) — Rope — 40.00 ($0.98) Bikol Wikipedia shirts 8,000.00 ($196) 8,000.00 ($196) Snacks; food for Award's Night and
7th Filipino Wikimedian Meet-up
10,000.00 ($245) 6,955.00 ($170.40) — AM snacks (25 pax) — 175.00 ($4.29) — PM snacks (40 pax) — 1,280.00 ($31.36) — Evening snacks (30 pax) — 5,500.00 ($134.75) 3rd Prize for Wikipedia Takes Naga 1,000.00 ($24.5) 1,000.00 ($24.5) Supplies 1,350.00 ($33.08) 2,529.75 ($61.98) Miscellaneous (Nov. 4 to 29) 4,000.00 ($98) 5,298.57 ($129.81) — PC rental, printing — 402.00 ($19.85) — Photocopying — 347.00 ($8.50) — Transporation — 1,025.00 ($25.11) — Cellphone load — 525.00 ($12.86) — Snacks — 4,024.57 ($98.60) Total PHP24,850.00
Report on donations and sponsors
Here is the summary of different support i.e. services, in kind, products and cash:
Support Sponsor/Donor Amount PHP (USD) Value PHP (USD) Venue and facilities for Wikipedia Takes Naga
and Bikol Edithon for the whole day
Ateneo de Naga University - Unknown Facilitation of the activity (registration to awarding) Parasurat Bikolnon - Unknown Cash prizes for 1st and 2nd placers; city maps and
Naga Smiles Magazine distributed to participants
City Government of Naga 5,000.00 ($122.5) - Lunch of the organizers Bigg's Diner - 6,500.00 ($159.25) Prizes, and shirts for the organizers Tribo Bikolano - 4,000.00 ($98.00) Equipment and technical support MyTreatCity - 2,800.00 ($68.60) Venue, facility and technical support Mudbugs Sports Bar - Unknown Cable TV program guesting (one-hour air time) GNN TV 48 Naga - Unknown Design of Wikipedia Takes Naga and
Wikipedia Takes Cebu (cancelled) logos
Ajohn Dorotical - Unknown Gift certificates Ramashinta Resort & Spa - 900.00 ($22.05) Gift certificates Green Earth Café - 750.00 ($18.375) Drinking water Asian Breeze - 200.00 ($4.90) Total PHP5,000.00
- Plaques/certificates of appreciation were awarded to all who helped.
- Based on Philippine Peso and US Dollar exchange rate on November 24, 2012: 0.02450 USD
- Cash prizes for 1st and 2nd placers were received by winners from the City Government of Naga
- Amount under Value is not cash but its monetary equivalent; Unknown meant no estimated value
- 2012-11-10: 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day Wikimedia Philippines
- ABS-CBN TV Patrol Bicol ABS-CBN News (accessed 2013-6-27)
- ABS-CBN TV Patrol Bicol official Facebook page (accessed 2013-6-27)
- GMA Network boosts Luzon viewership, opens Ilocos and Bicol stations (accessed 2013-6-27)
- GMA Baretang Bikol official Facebook page (accessed 2013-6-27)
- Treasurer Decision:01-2012 In the matter determining allowable Communications Expenses
- GNN TV Naga livestreaming (accessed 2013-6-27)
- GNN TV 48 Naga official Facebook page (accessed 2013-6-27)
- Resolution:Philippine Wikimedia Communities
- Resolution:Philippine Wikimedia Communities amendment
- Wikimedia Philippines: Startup 2
- Wikimedia Philippines: Startup 2
- Open Web Day at Ateneo De Naga University by Kemuel Joseph Domanog] (accessed 2013-6-27)
- Talk on Wikimedia Philippines: Startup 2 Project Report
- Request for an extension of the project completion date
- Wikipedia Takes Manila
- Philippine Pesos (PHP) to US Dollars (USD) exchange rate for November 24, 2012